We’re looking to hire a passionate and experienced Communications and Development Manager to join our small team during this crucial period of growth in our community.
Position: Part-time Communications and Development Manager
Estimated 25 hours/week; Remote position.
To apply, please send your resume along with three writing samples (such as grant proposal, e-newsletter article, social media post, press release, or website copy) to Lydia Dorsky at email@example.com.
Founded in 2005, the Adult Polyglucosan Body Disease (APBD) Research Foundation is the only 501(c)(3) non-profit committed to supporting patients and families impacted by APBD and finding treatments and a cure for this debilitating rare disease. Our mission is four-fold: improve the diagnosis and treatment of APBD; support affected individuals and families; increase awareness of APBD among health professionals and the public; and facilitate the translation of research into treatments and cures for APBD. To learn more about APBD and the Foundation, visit www.apbdrf.org.
We are seeking a Communications and Development Manager (CDM) to help grow our small nonprofit. Working with key members of the board and staff, the Communications and Development Manager will oversee and manage a multi-channel organizational communications strategy and plan. In addition, the successful candidate will support the organization’s development initiatives, including fundraising campaigns and events, donor communications, and grant proposals. In general, 70% of time will be spent on communications duties and 30% on assisting with fundraising and development activities. Writing skills are paramount.
Essential Job Functions:
- Implement comprehensive communications strategy for outreach to the lay community and create an editorial calendar to support communications with various stakeholders
- Oversee layout and distribution of our monthly e-newsletter and other external emails, including developing text and graphics
- Work with the team on website redesign and provide ongoing website content updates
- Generate social media content and oversee robust social media schedule
- Generate a broad range of communications materials to support the Foundation’s initiatives and programs, including patient profile stories, research updates for lay audiences, and patient support information
- Develop messaging, talking points, graphics, videos, and other communications collateral to showcase the organization’s work and impact
- Participate in the planning and implementation of publicity strategies and opportunities, including press release writing and media placement.
- Assist with prospect research for foundation and corporate support opportunities
- Participate in team efforts to draft and edit grant proposals and assist with the proposal development process (strategize on approach, track opportunities, manage timelines)
- Work with the Board’s Fundraising Committee to create and manage a strategy for an annual calendar of development plans, ideas, and timelines
- Generate content for fundraising campaigns, including end-of- year campaign, Million Dollar Bike Ride for rare disease research, and other fundraising event components
- Work with the Board’s Fundraising Committee to develop and execute consistent communications to cultivate and grow our donor base
- Assist in generating donor fundraising reports in DonorPerfect and donor acknowledgement processes and stewardship plans.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, digital/tech savvy, creative team member who is prepared to take initiative, has outstanding relationship-building and communications skills and possesses a passion to make a difference in rare diseases.
- Bachelor’s degree with three to five years’ experience in communications and development roles in nonprofit organizations (patient advocacy organizations preferable)
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills and the ability to convert information into effective messaging, and draft and edit communications for a wide range of audiences
- A record of public relations experience, including pitching and securing media placements
- Highly organized project management abilities with capacity for multi-tasking simultaneous communications and development projects
- Skills and knowledge in search engine optimization, Google Analytics, marketing and data analytics and reporting, digital performance, and digital ad strategy
- Experience preferred with DonorPerfect, WordPress or SquareSpace, Constant Contact, Canva, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and Social Media Platforms
- Ability to work independently — as well as in a team setting — and effectively in a remote setting
- Experience in disease-focused and/or healthcare communications preferable.